There are huge benefits that companies derive by using APIs or Application programming interfaces. These include higher revenues, improved customer value and reach, marketing and sales support business simulation and technical innovation, and backward data and application integration.
APIs allow companies faster-scaling opportunities, expand their markets, and creates opportunities for innovation.
It’s no surprise that companies’ annual spending for integrating dissimilar systems is a whopping $590 billion!! Since most companies have a social media presence, they are always looking to hire facebook api developer who can help them connect to external party applications.
Companies also need PHP developers to create smooth loading web pages, which provides improved search engine optimization. They develop high-quality and easily navigable websites to attract traffic. It is for these reasons that a company wants to hire php developer.
It is easily understandable why there is a massive demand for API developers. Do you have what it takes to be an API developer?
- 1 Skills Needed to Be an API Developer
- 2 The Best API Developer Courses
- 3 Success as an API Developer with the Right Course
Skills Needed to Be an API Developer
There are some essential skills which you need to be a successful API developer. Here are the qualifications:
Programming Language Proficiency
Competence in programming is a must if you want to be a great API developer. You need to develop APIs in sync with the current software used by the company. Understanding the overall style of API architecture is essential.
You should be proficient in REST architecture and JSON. To transfer data between web applications and the server, you need to understand JSON.
The Relevance of API-First Design
As a developer, you need to provide the optimal solution for the APIs required by the organization. This would mean ensuring that the API consumer has a great experience and resource access optimization in terms of programming benefits.
In-Depth, API Framework Knowledge
As an API developer, you should have the expertise to make smart choices regarding the best possible solutions and optimize the framework used.
Fluency in Communication
All API programs have information regarding the software for the consumers’ benefit. To be a quality API developer, you need to provide detailed information regarding the program, such as HTTP methods it supports, payload examples that are customer-value driven, product information, operational procedures, and functional specifications.
If you call yourself a ‘full-stack developer,’ you should have in-depth knowledge of several technologies and provide solutions covering the entire architecture.
It would be best if you optimized front-end application-oriented API design choices, effectively coordinating the API calls that form the API. This is required for creating a useful RESTful API for the API customer.
Integration Architecture Knowledge
As an API developer, you need to understand the applicability of service-oriented architecture. You should have in-depth knowledge of system integration and front-end and back-end technologies.
Optimizing Re-use Opportunities
While you will be expected to know re-use opportunities as a developer, an API developer should also be able to assess whether a combination of the external API and the organization will be or won’t be the best choice.
Now that you know the kind of opportunities that exist for an API developer, you need to determine the top API developer courses that will help you seal the deal.
The Best API Developer Courses
Here are some of the top API Developer Courses which will help you secure your dream job:
The course offered by this online institution will help you learn various topics of the Apigee API platform. The platform will be Google Cloud. The course covers navigation within the Apigee Edge UI, improving API security, and the right approach to API designs.
The highlights of this course are:
- API development, deployment, and planning using Google Apigee
- API development overview
- Educational support tools like video lectures, supplementary material, and hands-on practice
- Building APIs through simulation
- Course conducted by top API instructors
You get lots of API courses here. The popular ones are REST API design, REST API Testing from the basics, REST API testing using SoapUI, API management and development, and introduction to Web Service and API.
The highlights of this course are:
- Professional teachers and the top instructors with industry-relevant experience
- Get exposure to live projects and numerous practical exercises which will help you to develop your REST API
- Complete understanding of REST API automation with sufficient practical examples
- Learn all the possible applications of API and Webservices
- Access all the courses on Udemy through different devices like mobile phones, laptops, or tablets
This online academy will help you understand different API concepts, which include API testing, API building with ASP.NET, RESTful API, and more. You will learn API programming, development, designing, and web services in detail.
The courses which would give you an edge would be Quick API Testing guide, how to secure and develop RESTful API for Multiple clients, and Web API Design.
These are some of the highlights of the course:
- Learn the various API concepts in an effective way
- This course will help you in building and securing RESTful API in case of multiple clients with the help of ASP.NET keeping best practices in mind
- Learning the implementation of REST-based API for an ASP.NET Web API. This would include security, routing, controllers, and versioning.
- Knowledge maximization in your chosen field through live projects, practical examples, and video lectures.
Linked-In Learning – Lynda
Whether you are an advanced learner or beginner, this course will be a practical choice. Some of the popular classes are Designing RESTful APIs, Programming Foundations, and Learning REST APIs.
The highlights of this course are:
- Learn the importance of good API design by understanding API Web Services
- Learn the creation of RESTful API
This course is meant for full-stack or back-end developers.
Highlights of this course:
- Get the Google Nanodegree program for full stack developers
- Understand the API essential components
- Learn authentication using tokens and adding OAuth login concerning API security
- High-quality content, student support, and interactive courses for improving concepts
- Develop innovation and independent learning for faster skill acquisition
Success as an API Developer with the Right Course
An API developer plays a vital role in the success of a company since you will be creating a bridge between different application systems. Depending on your experience, you will be offered a competitive salary.
Given the shortage of API developers, there is a massive demand for them. If you are a beginner, choose the right course which will get you the best job. Learn the right skills, get the required experience, and create a niche for yourself in the API developer industry.