Java is a popular programming language all around the globe. It will double up the languages in all these years. There are various programming languages for mobile app development these years and are the best alternatives for any application’s effective development. There are two different programming worlds that come under the JVM language category: Kotlin and Scala.
When we discuss about Kotlin vs Scala, both have innovative ways to enhance JVM language. Kotlin focuses on the better version and reduces Java to the boilerplate code with new features like the design of null safe. In the comparison of Scala, there is a flexible syntax that motivates the functional ideas of programming. Before we jump into the difference between Kotlin vs Scala, getting an in-depth idea of both is better.
What is Kotlin?
Kotlin is a modern programming language that will make developers happy. It is safe, concise, and easy to pick up; hence; you will create a powerful application fast. It is an open-source JVM programming language you can develop in 2010 that you can back with two different entities like Google and JetBrains. It even possesses object-orient features like the Smart Casts and Extension Function. It also becomes the ideal choice for different Android users with the set-up of Android studio lets app development, which you can do to Kotlin and Java. If you have an idea of Java, you will not have any issues with Kotlin and will learn easily.
Features of Kotlin
- It offers functional programming and becomes object-oriented
- It has compact syntax with cleanliness
- Operator overloading
- It complies with JVM bytecode
- It has extensive functions
- It reduces the runtime crash
- It even supports the functions of high order
- It offers a sleek, neat shirt expression
Like Google, companies that use Kotlin are Uber, Amazon, Atlassian, Pinterest, Evernote, Corda, Foursquare, and many more.
What is Scala?
You will get flexible and extensible code syntax. It is a major intent to showcase the common programming pattern in a short, sleek, and effective manner. It is object-oriented, and there are functional features that integrate, and even the developers find it perfect for exploring Scala and its features. It even automatically infers the type of information. It even facilitates and turns the variables and the immutable while you can do the best performances.
Features of Scala
- Concurrency and immutability control
- Function in high order
- The exact syntax and there is no boilerplate code
- Supports object-oriented and the functional programming
- It will give fast bug and error detection
- Statically extendible and type
- It supports macros and pattern matching
- It can facilitate overloading operators
The companies that use Scala are Uber, Netflix, Twitter, LinkedIn, The Guardian, Apple, Airbnb, and Twitter.
Similarities between Scala and Kotlin
The developers like both the programming languages
- They support Null Safety management
- JVM languages
- Operator overloading
- Functional programming
Kotlin vs Scala
Let’s understand differences between Kotlin vs Scala, it will help you to choose the right JVM language for your next app development project.
- Kotlin was established in the year 2011, and Scala was established in the year 2004.
- Kotlin is an object-oriented language, and Scala is a multi-paradigm programming language.
- Kotlin will use the library of Spek, Klaxon, Kotlin NoSQL, Kotlin Core, and Spek. The Scala offers Epic, Saddle, Akka, Smile, Breeze, and Summing Bird.
- With Android compatibility- Kotlin is great for Android app development, while Scala is not great for Android apps.
- The compilation speeds are fast in Kotlin, while the Scala compilation speed is slow.
- Kotlin will not support pattern matching in pattern matching, and Scala offers entire support for pattern matching. The code length is short and not to the point; in Scala, it is large.
- Kotlin has small size community support, and Scala has large community support.
- For Kotlin, there is easy to understand learning with the basic syntax and even comes with a simple coding style. It is a powerful and flexible syntax with simple coding in Kotlin, and in Scala, there is powerful and flexible syntax with little novice and tough ideas.
- For Big Data, Kotlin is not ideal and not even for Data Science applications, and Scala is a great fit for Big Data and Data Science with the best features like pattern matching.
- The job opportunities for a Kotlin are fewer in the market, while for Scala, there are more jobs.
- Kotlin is easy to code and even drug with simple syntax, and Scala takes time to understand the entire coding syntax. For Inline Functionality, the compiler automatically takes the functions with the inline keyword as the inline. The developer will ask the compiler even to inline the Scala with the @inlinr method.
- For Null point exceptions- Kotlin is effective, and even there is easy management of the null safety. Scala will add complexity to the perfect code while you can code and do the null safety management for the best.
- Operator overloading will have the basic operator in Kotlin that will make the easy solution to understand, but it is not even flexible. For Scala, it is easy to go towards the operator that overloads and to make the better for human readable code.
- Interoperability with Java and Kotlin there is 109% interoperable. There is a perfect call of Kotlin code from Java and vice versa. In the access of Java classes, one cannot call the Scala classes in the environment of Java.
- For Kotlin- use cases are android development, web, and server-side development. There is Big Data, ML, and even functional programming for Scala.
- For codes- Kotlin codes are efficient and even brief. The Scala Codes are widespread and big.
- For document notations-in Kotlin, there is a need for API documentation X, which is extensive and not even well arranged. For Scala, API documentation is well-arranged and simple.
The debate between Kotlin vs Scala about who is great is always a long one. But Kotlin is the most comfortable option in the environment of Android, and even there are other options. But Scala IDE is the more development one with the Kotlin plug-in, yet it is extremely popular among Java developers. You will see Kotlin as the better developer option if you are modern. Both are popular and effective, and it is a development choice. It depends on the developers’ choice and the company’s work culture and goals.