Colleges are institutions where for the first time in your life you are independent. Independent of a college uniform, of the school bus and all the rules of school life. Colleges are institutions where you make critical life decisions like the field that you’re interested in, be it arts, science or commerce.
However, this situation has changed a lot. Everyone went from living their normal lives to living a life of fear, uncertainty and a life that has us confined to our homes.
Some kids who’ve just started college may never know that feeling of walking into a classroom and possibly making friends that may or may not last a lifetime. Those who were about to graduate, did sitting at home without their friends.
With students staying home and studying, this is the perfect opportunity for them to start interning and taking the right steps towards a brighter future.
Why are college internships important?
Internships in the field that you are going to graduate from are perfect opportunities for students to face the real world. It’s the perfect way for them to see the real workings of how their industry works. If they’re undecided on which major to choose, interning at places where they give you an experience of working in your fields of choice may be an excellent way for you to then make a decision. There are many benefits that internships pose on children such as –
- Character Growth – Internships are perfect opportunities for students to become professionals while studying. Working in an office, working with their peers, all of these are opportunities for growth. This is a great way for students to learn that while getting good grades is important, it’s not the only thing that recruiters search for when hiring candidates for a job. They look for things like character, integrity, loyalty and their knowledge of their field. Internships encourage you to grow, to develop and learn.
- Career Development – Internships aren’t just about earning money. Internships are about starting your career while studying. At internships you will have to apply the knowledge of your field to the actual workings of an organization. Many companies offer you an internship letter at the end of your internship. These certificates are perfect for adding on your resume as they show character, they show your experience and are a great stepping stool for your career and the opportunity for growth.
- Door to great opportunities – Based on your work during the internship, there’s a very real chance that your company or organization may want to hire you full time after your graduation or even before it. Companies may hire interns if there’s a position available as they already know how you work and what you bring to the table which makes internships great stepping stools for young individuals.
- Real-Life Application – Internships are crucial for students to learn the workings of the real world. When they join a company they’re required to use their book knowledge and apply it in real life situations. Agencies would want to hire those who have past experience of working in an office as opposed to those who have had 0 work experience.
These are just some of the many things you stand to gain when you start working or interning part time for companies while studying.
What are the skills that employers look for when hiring interns?
Hiring interns is much more different than hiring employees. Recruiters have different expectations from interns than they would do with employees. For Example, interns will work at a company for a limited period of time, a few months or a year. Employees are hired for longer periods of time. However, there are certain similarities between the hiring processes of interns and employees, they are –
- Communication – Communication refers to your ability to talk to people, how confidently do you conduct yourself in crowds. These skills are first assessed during the interview process.
- Time management – When you study and work, employers expect you to know how to manage your time most effectively and efficiently. Like college you will have to manage your deadlines at work too. Showing your recruiters that you are reliable and can be trusted to work well within deadlines is a great way to get a good recommendation from your employers.
- Critical thinking – Critical thinking is one’s ability to evaluate a situation or a problem and then form a judgment. Your critical thinking ability can be demonstrated by your willingness to ask questions and understand a problem from all the angles before you pitch for the solutions.
- Initiative – Taking initiative is all about showing recruiters your willingness to learn. Taking initiative, listening, making mistakes and growing, all of this is part of internships.
These are just some qualities that recruiters look for when hiring interns. Recruiters don’t have a lot of expectations from students who’ve never worked before. When applying for internships jobs, remember to be confined during the interview process and to remember that recruiters don’t expect you to know everything and it’s okay to say that you don’t know something rather than saying that you don’t.
Best Internship websites in India
With strict lockdowns being imposed everywhere, we don’t know when colleges will reopen again which makes this the perfect time for students to apply for internships which you can do from the comfort of their home. Here is a list of top 15 Internship websites in India when students can apply, they are –
Internshala is one of the best internship websites where you can search for jobs in a variety of fields. On internshala you can search for jobs which lets you work from home. Internshala has paid and unpaid internships for students to apply for. Internshala is a portal made specifically for college going students who want to amplify their resumes before they graduate.
Similar to Intern theory, intern theory is a website which lets you browse through many internships paid and not paid. They have internships from varying periods of time i.e. 1 month to several months. Inter theory has a variety of work from home jobs which students can apply for based on their likes, dislikes and their field.
Freshers now is a website which lets you search for jobs in mumbai. Here you can find internships in the field of IT, government jobs. Moreover, they also have information on various entrance exams you have to take for certain fields, how to be best prepared for your exams and much more.
AICTE or All India Council for Technical Education is an all India council for technical education which works in providing internships for nurses, internships at municipal councils, account and finance management and such fields.
LinkedIn is a very important social networking tool which is used by millions. Similar to how Instagram is your personal account, linkedin is for your professional profile. Here you can connect with peers who are working in the same field as you are, and simultaneously also apply for internships in the field of your choice. Linkedin is a great portal for you to connect with senior level managers and interact with them. Here you can read about what scholars in your field have to say, any tips they may have to share with you.
Glassdoor is a website where you can search for jobs as well as internships. Albeit glassdoor is mostly used for searching for jobs, glass door has some good internships for you to search for and then apply.
Hello intern is a website where you can apply for a variety of jobs for companies ranging from startup’s, nonprofits and organizations. They also have online training programs where you can learn about robotics, machine learning and much more. They also have a placement preparation program for those seeking jobs in the field of IT. Here you have mock tests to practise on, learn computer science fundamentals and improve your problem solving skills.
Suggestive of the name, simply hired is a portal where you can apply for a number of internships based on your field of expertise. Here you can search for jobs based on your salary expectations.
9Scholarship in India
Scholarship in India is an online platform where students can apply for internships in various sectors of IT, Tata and many more.
Naukri.com is India’s no. 1 job portal site. Although they have more jobs than internships, they have quite a few internships in various fields for you to apply. You can also use this internship website to look for starting salary packages for when you graduate.
Chegg internship is an online portal where you can search for a variety of internships in various fields such as engineering internships, paid internships, marketing internships and much more. They also have a category called “Career Advice” where you can go to for help.
Similar to Naukri.com, Monster.com is an online portal primarily for jobs. They also have a variety of internships for you to apply at.
Go overseas is a website where you can search for a variety of internships not just in India but abroad as well. They have quite a few internships for you to apply for in Mumbai as well.
Pearl web is a website that has data entry internships and jobs for students to apply and work at. You can find a variety of work from home jobs on this site.
15Local Jobs Classified
Local jobs classified is a website where students can apply for work from home jobs, data entry jobs and much more.
There are many opportunities for students to continue learning and work simultaneously. Working while studying is empowering and also gives students the independence they require from a young age. Working while studying also has a huge advantage on your resume which shouldn’t be ignored. These are just some of the reasons why students should apply for internships and gain as much experience as they can before they graduate so they familiarize themselves with the field that they are going to be entering in and to also give their resume a huge advantage and edge over others.